Monday, July 11, 2005

10 Career Tips for New Grads + 10 More from Chris

10 Career Tips for New Grads By Karen Woodward Provided by College Journal

I worked in Hollywood for 10 years as an assistant to studio executives as well as "talent." I've seen a lot, and all kinds of people. As I'm sure most can imagine, the film industry attracts some very odd types. I've also been on the hiring side of the desk, and it's astounding what some people will say and wear at the office. Here is my advice to 20-somethings about the "real" work world.

1. Lose the attitude. I can't tell you how annoying 20-somethings (men and women) are who, because they are young and cute and went to a good college, think that they are smarter than anyone else.
2. Listen. I learned the most important lessons by simply shutting up and paying attention.
3. Bond with your cohorts. While some kissing up to the higher-ups is important politically, the bonding with people at your own rank is important on a broader level. These are the people you will be moving up the ladder with, and it's best to have them on your side from the beginning. I've seen the people who dated the boss or went out of their way to hang out with the upper-level management, and they have all gone nowhere. The folks with whom I shared a smoke in the emergency stairwell are my closest buddies, and the ones most likely to look out for me.
4. Don't try to be clever or cute. If you have these qualities, they'll be noticed, so you don't need to try. One time I got into an email battle with a high-ranking assistant (when I was a midlevel assistant) and, while I thought I was clever in copying it to just the other assistants (who enjoyed it immensely), it was also copied to the human-resources department, who didn't find it funny at all.
5. Own up to your mistakes. Covering for them rarely works. Just say, " I screwed up," don't make excuses, and take steps to fix it. This works with most bosses. I did have one boss who yelled at me while I was on the phone, amending my mistake. (The person on the other end of the line was laughing, "Who is that yelling at you?")
6. If you don't know, ask. It takes less time to ask for clarification or information than it takes to do something the wrong way, screw it up and start over again.
7. Project confidence and competence. Not to be confused with No. 1. Lose the attitude. But you must appear unruffled. If you don't know the answer to something, just say, "I don't know, I will find out." When your boss throws a million things at you, just say "OK" and believe me, you will find a way to get it done (and you can use it as fodder with your cohorts at lunch or in the smoking stairway).
8. Don't be afraid to leave your comfort zone. It's so easy to get comfortable in a job, and then you end up staying there for years longer than you should. Once you feel yourself getting secure in a job, you should consider looking for another one.
9. Dress appropriately. I don't mean you have to wear suits or look really conservative. But please remember that you are not in college, and you are not at a bar.
10. The No. 1 person who will look out for you is you. Remember, if you can't respect yourself, how can you possibly expect others to? Also, keep in mind that everyone has his or her own agenda, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, because you have an agenda, too.

Having said that, the real world is not a scary place. It's actually not unlike high school.
Ms. Woodward is pursuing a master's degree in media studies at Syracuse University in Syracuse, N.Y.
article originally from biz.yahoo.com

My 2 Cents Worth
1. Grooming - No visible piercings or tattoos. Show up with a clean shave every day, get a haircut every 4-6 weeks, and get your neck shaved every 2-3 weeks by someone you trust.
2. Learn to clean and iron your clothes yourself so you'll look good especially if you are on a business trip. Always button down a button down collar shirt.
3. Say "yes" and/or "no problem" and/or "I'll get right on it" to all requests with enthusiasm!
4. Don't argue with your ears closed.
5. Be on time and attend every day. Keep your transportation medium tuned up on the weekend so you'll be ready during the week.
6. Leave all personal problems and excuses at home. Do not discuss anything of this type at work. Emphasis on "all." Not over the phone, not with coworkers. Don't do it.
7. Learn to touch type really fast and then learn and use as many quick keystrokes for productivity software as you can.
8. Learn as much as you can about compnay processes and excell in them as soon as possible.
9. Don't repeat or makeup bullshit. Make sure you backup what you say with data.
10. Report your status/progress to your boss once a day no matter what - no more (unless specifically requested), no less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home